Horticulture Standards Manager
Entered: 17 Oct 2019
Our Client is searching for a Horticulture Standards Manager that will lead the horticultural team in achieving and maintaining international horticultural standards across all plant production facilities in all nurseries in line with Our Clients vision. Develops and monitors the horticultural standards departmental structure and responsibilities to accomplish both short-term and long-term goals.
The Horticulturist’s primary functions include:
• Establishes and maintains International Horticultural standards and practices; providing direction, training and motivation for the current horticultural staff, interns and trainees.
• Is a hands-on leader, actively working in the nurseries carrying out practical horticultural training in the nurseries and green houses.
• Works with the nursery staff developing long-term productive relationships and growing the size of the training programme over a period of time.
• Monitors and supports overall plant health and soil nutrition strategies for all nurseries to include sustainable horticutural practices and integrated pest management in the outdoor and indoor plant areas
• Establishes and oversees a systematic plant records policy, in coordination with Desert Group’s master plan, mission, and strategies
• Coordinates the setup and cooling of greenhouses, irrigation systems and maintenance of horticultural equipment collaboratively with the WAS General Manager
• Responsible for the horticultural standards department budget, budget monitoring, strategic planning, and any horticultural capital projects as needed (i.e. purchase of new equipment as necessary to improve efficiency and to achieve and maintain international standards).
• Has access to the inventory of propagation and growing equipment and supplies, and recommends additional materials as needed.
• Arranges purchase, sale, or exchange of plants with representatives of similar institutions, promoting collaborative relationships with like institutions that will be of benefit to DG.
• Develops, maintains, and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media, and the general public.
• Teach topical classes as needed
• Directly supervises 3-5 non-supervisory employees.
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies.
• Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
Education and Experience
• Bachelors degree in horticulture, botany, natural sciences or a related field
• Minimum of four years experience as a professional horticulturist
• Minimum of two years experience in management position
• Ability to read, analyse, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations written in the English language
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to organize, plan and teach instructional classes in horticulture related topics
• Knowledge of AX Dynamics is an advantage.
• Knowledge of social media; ability to blog and post on LinkedIn and Facebook.
• Ability to use Microsoft office suite efficiently