Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) Manager - Co Cork
Entered: 05 July 2020
Euro Executive Recruitment has been retained to recruit a SHEQ Manager for a leading manufacturing company based in Fermoy with frequent travel to their sites in Leitrim and Arklow.
- Work with management in Fermoy, Longford and Arklow to develop and maintain practical and effective policies and procedures for all sites in Ireland.
- Ensure that policies are implemented throughout all sites – travelling regularly between the sites.
- Conduct regular reviews of policies and procedures to ensure they are practical and fully aligned with business needs and relevant legislation.
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry.
- Advise on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases.
- Ensure emergency response procedures are maintained and updated as required.
- Ensure that all activities across all Irish sites have robust and up-to-date risk assessments.
- Assess workplace hazards considering how risks could be eliminated or reduced and formulate preventative measures together with management.
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures with management to ensure that all risks are appropriately managed.
- Ensure adequate H&S controls are incorporated into design specifications for equipment upgrades and installation.
- Assess all site construction projects and notify the HSE as appropriate.
- Together with the SHEQ Manager for Scotland, develop, implement and manage Group wide H&S systems to ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
- Develop and implement H&S procedures to support the Group, working closely with the site management; the SHEQ Manager and the Head of Group Operations.
Training & Awareness
- Work closely with the Group HR Manager to actively promote and prioritise a safe working environment for our people, ensuring contracts are up to date.
- Support Project Managers by ensuring adequate method statements and inductions are carried out with contractors.
- Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks to ensure that work activities are carried out in a safe manner.
- Maintain Health and Safety training records.
- Ensure that new employees receive timely inductions prior to commencing their role.
- Conduct an annual assessment of H&S needs and advise managers on training requirements to ensure compliance with the Health and Safety at Work Act.
- Conduct regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being implemented.
- Organise and control regular random safety inspection audits of all areas, record, analyse and report on the results, and suggest improvements.
- Work with all relevant regulators who audit and inspect sites and activities.
- Responsible for quality certification in the timber frame business.
- Inspect building sites where the business erects timber frame houses.
- Support the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) audit.
- Where required, ensure that remedial actions are managed through to completion.
- Investigate and record any incident, accident or dangerous occurrences.
- Assist as required with insurers’ audits and enquiries.
- Liaise with third parties such as HSE, Brokers and Insurance investigators throughout the process, as appropriate.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate records are maintained and assemble documentation as required.
- Design, implement and maintain a management plan in accordance with relevant standards for a heavy production environment.
- Work with the SHEQ Manager in Scotland to develop an annual Health and Safety Plan for the Group to ensure the business maintain compliance with applicable regulations.
- Assist site management in the delivery of their safety plans.
- Manage the H&S plan and ensure all initiative owners deliver as per the agreed timelines.
- Generate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required for internal and external stakeholders to ensure compliance with company and statutory requirements.
- Highly organized individual with excellent attention to detail and great accuracy.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and effectively time-manage.
- An observant and analytical personality with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills and ability to give instruction to site personnel.
- Ability to deliver training and presentations to groups.
- Embodies ‘safety first culture’ with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- A “can do” work ethic with an ability to work on their own initiative.
- Passion, energy, a strong work ethic and a commitment to travelling.
- Open to change with a capacity to deal with uncertainty and a constantly evolving industry.
- Diploma in Health & Safety management.
- Min of 5 years’ Health & Safety exp with at least 3 years manufacturing experience, ideally in a heavy industry sector.
- Experience as a PSCS or Safety Officer in the construction industry would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of BS OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001 standards in a heavy production environment is important, and environment (ISO 14001) and quality (ISO 9000) would be an advantage.
- Excellent report writing and numerical skills with proficiency in MS Office.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Proficiency in the English language is a requirement as is eligibility to work in Ireland.
- Experienced in all areas of Health & Safety including maintaining policies, assessing risks, training, audits & inspection, dealing with incidents and reporting.